Sourdough Starter – Whole Wheat
When I want to bake sourdough at home and I don’t have enough Kombucha yeast to start a new Kombucha Sourdough starter, this little packet is my secret go-to. Composed of lively strains of wild yeast and bacteria, it makes the perfect loaf every time.
Since ancient times, sourdough starter has been used to naturally leaven bread. Early humans instinctively realized that natural bacteria and yeast make the nutrients in the bread more bioavailable and digestible. Plus it gives a lovely rise compared to flatbreads along with creating a delicious flavor and texture. Friendly Lactobacillus bacteria adds its own unique flavor profile to baked goods.
Our starters arrive in a powdered form and need just a little nudge to wake them up. Within a few days you will have plenty of active starter to begin baking pancakes, bread, and other goodies.
With regular feeding, the starter may be used indefinitely.
- 1 packet of dehydrated organic sourdough starter culture
- Packet contains enough to start ¼ cup
- Upgrade to extra packets for more sourdough starter in less time or to share with friends
- Recipe sheet
Ingredients: organic unbleached white flour, live active cultures
This product does CONTAIN WHEAT – Non-GMO
We work with a trusted source to package the product in order to maintain a gluten free facility for all of our other live fermentation cultures, teas, and flavorings.
Sourdough Success Tips
- The consistency of your starter should be like thick pancake batter. If it’s too thin, gradually add a little flour. If it’s too thick, gradually add a bit of water. If your starter is forming a crust on it between feedings, spritz a little water on it after feeding and as often as necessary. You can simply scrape the crust off if it forms.
- Make sure to keep your starter in a warm spot (68 to 78 degrees)
- Starting the day before a bake, feeding your starter every 6-8 hours (or as close as you can to this amount) is recommended for the best rise.
- Start your recipe about 4 hours after your last feeding
- Always remember to reserve some starter when you bake with it so you can keep it going!
There are no reviews yet.