Water Kefir Grains
Live Fresh Water Kefir Grains for Sale
Kombucha Kamp Live Water Kefir Grains are available for Worldwide Shipping!
Water Kefir Grains (also known as tibicos, ginger bug and African bees) are a composite of bacteria and yeasts that ferment sugar in a water solution to create a naturally carbonated, probiotic beverage.
Water & milk kefir grains are lacto-ferments which have a milder flavor than Kombucha.
Diversity is key to having a healthy microbiome (gut). Incorporating living bacteria and yeast from a variety of sources benefits the microbiome and boosts immunity.
These water kefir grains can be adapted to work with Coconut water to make Coconut Water Kefir (recipe here).
FREE LACTO FERMENTED SODAS GUIDE WITH PURCHASE – includes recipes for kefir cheese, flavored water kefir, beet kvass and more!
Looking for larger amount? Buy 10-Pack Water Kefir Grains
Kombucha Kamp isn’t just your friendly go-to source for all things Kombucha–we embrace probiotic beverages in all their wonderful forms. And of course, Kombucha is only one option for healthful fermented nutrition. Why limit yourself when there are so many great ferments to try? Water kefir is a great alternative to Kombucha.
What is Water Kefir?
Water kefir is a naturally carbonated probiotic beverage, just like Kombucha, but it has a milder flavor than Kombucha and is made with water kefir grains instead of a Kombucha mother. Water kefir grains are not actually grains, but they are referred to this way because of their appearance. Water kefir grains are a composite of bacteria and yeasts that exist symbiotically, so they can also be referred to as a SCOBY. Don’t confuse them with a Kombucha SCOBY, though–they are very different.
Unlike Kombucha, water kefir doesn’t require tea. The only ingredients for water kefir are the water kefir grains and the sugar water solution.
Why Make Water Kefir?
Water kefir comes with several benefits:
- Easier and faster – Water kefir requires only the water kefir grains, sugar water solution, and 1-2 days of ferment time. Kombucha also requires tea and 1-2 weeks of ferment time.
- Better to make smaller batches – With Kombucha, the smallest recipe starts at 1 gallon. Because water kefir ferments much more quickly, it’s easier to make smaller batches.
- Healthy organisms – Water kefir contains more than 400 types of bacteria and yeast that promote gut health and immunity.
- Milder flavor – Water kefir is much milder than Kombucha. It actually has a bland, plain soda flavor that is easily jazzed up with flavorings. For those that don’t enjoy the tart and tangy flavor of Kombucha but still want a natural, healthy probiotic beverage, water kefir works great.
- Safe for the family – Water kefir is good for the whole family with no caffeine or dairy.
How to Make Water Kefir
Kombucha Kamp’s water kefir grains make about 1 quart of water kefir to start.
- 2 tablespoons hydrated water kefir grains
- ¼ cup sugar–choose organic if possible
- 1 quart chlorine-free water (4 cups)
- Optional for sweetness: 3-5 raisins, 1 dried fig, or ½ teaspoon of molasses
- Half Gallon Glass Jar
- Mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Fermentation cap or cloth with a rubber band
- Spoon, measuring cup, funnel
- Bottles or jars for finished product
- Put the ¼ cup sugar into the jar.
- Add the water to the jar, and stir to ensure it is dissolved.
- Add the kefir grains.
- Cover with a cap or cloth.
- Let sit out of direct light for 1-2 days. Don’t wait more than 72 hours, because the kefir grains will simply starve and disintegrate.
- When pleasantly fizzy, lightly sweet, and just how you like it, strain the water kefir to recapture the grains, which can be used again.
- Bottle, flavor, and enjoy!
Important Notes About Water Kefir Grains
Keep these helpful tips in mind so that you can continue making delicious fizzy water kefir “soda” for yourself or the whole family.
- No need to rinse the recaptured grains – they’re ready to go again just as they are.
- Kefir water grains reproduce, but won’t always reproduce more grains in every batch. That’s okay though, because the grains are able to be reused again and again.
- Water kefir grains will ferment the sugar water mixture best anywhere between 68-78°F (20-26°C). Cooler temperatures will result in a slower fermentation time, and warmer temperatures speed the process up. Just keep an eye out.
What Are the Benefits of Water Kefir?
Water kefir, like all fermented drinks and food items, has plenty of health benefits. It is a probiotic drink filled with healthy bacteria, yeasts, enzymes, acids, vitamins, and minerals. These gut-health-promoting elements improve immunity and overall wellness. Water kefir does contain sugar, but it is easily digested sugar that doesn’t interact with the body like regular table sugar. This is because the water kefir grains have broken down the sucrose into fructose and glucose, making it easier for your body to digest. The light sweetness of water kefir makes it the perfect alternative to high sugar sodas.
Kombucha Kamp’s Water Kefir Flavoring Tips
Craving a fruity, fizzy refresher? Try these inspiring ideas:
Looking for something more similar to soda pop? Try these delicious flavor ideas:
- Root beer: sassafras, sarsaparilla, wintergreen, and vanilla bean
- Orange soda: orange and lemon juices
- Ginger ale: ginger, lemon, and a touch of honey
- Lemon-lime: lemon and lime juice and zest
Kombucha Kamp is your go-to supplier online for helpful information and supplies for making your own fizzy probiotic beverages. Whether you want to make Kombucha, JUN, water kefir, or milk kefir, Kombucha Kamp can help. Trust our years of experience and expertise, thousands of positive customer reviews, and of course, your own gut!
Reach out to us by email, or telephone if you have any questions about using our water kefir grains.