At some point in your brewing process, you are going to want to create a SCOBY Hotel. This vacation spot for your SCOBYs is the perfect place for them to chill out until an emergency arises.
Why Make a SCOBY Hotel?
- Your culture gets infested with fruit flies, vinegar eels, mold
- Your friend wants to make Kombucha too
- You are experimenting with different teas, rooibos, yerba mate, raw honey, etc
- You are going on vacation and can’t brew KT on your regular schedule
How To Make a SCOBY Hotel: Video
Storing a SCOBY Hotel
You can cover this jar in a couple of different ways:
- With a cloth cover; the liquid will evaporate more quickly and you will need to check it more frequently but a new SCOBY will form to slow the evaporation process.
- With a lid; plastic lids work best. Avoid metal lids or line them with a piece of plastic wrap to avoid metallic condensation from dripping onto your SCOBYs.
Whenever you encounter any problems with your brewing process, use a SCOBY from your Hotel. It’s great to have a couple, three of them hanging out, just in case.
From time to time, make sure there is enough liquid in the jar and refresh with unflavored Kombucha Tea when it starts to get low. That’s it!! The SCOBYs will just hang out in the pool until you need them!