Brewing Kombucha is not only a hobby, it is an art, a craft and for many, its a low-barrier to entry to starting their very own business. Those who are attracted to becoming full time Kombucha brewers are those who derive pleasure out of knowing they are providing a product that is not only delicious, its also nutritious and can uplift their community. At Kombucha Kamp, we are consultants who assist those seeking to take their love of fermentation to the next level.
One of the most important ways in which Kombucha Kamp can assist new businesses is with the development of their Food Safety Plan. Several years ago, the United States Federal government passed the FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act); a federal law in the United States that aims to ensure the safety of the food supply. To be in compliance with FSMA, a business must implement a food safety plan that includes, but is not limited to, a HACCP plan.
A food production business should invest in generating a HACCP plan as soon as they start operating, or if they are already operating, as soon as possible. This is because HACCP is a legally required standard for food safety in many countries, and non-compliance with these regulations can result in penalties and damage to the business’s reputation.
Additionally, having a HACCP plan in place can help ensure the safety of food products, improve the quality control of food products, result in cost savings, and promote continuous improvement. All these benefits make it important for businesses to invest in generating a HACCP plan as soon as they can. Kombucha Kamp has helped dozens of businesses easily generate their HACCP documentation for compliance and safety. Our quick intake form makes the entire process a breeze, plus we walk you through every aspect of the plan to ensure its understood and harmonizes with actual processing steps; plus its fully customizable and can be edited as your business shifts over time. support your fermentation business needs.
Top 5 Reasons to Implement a HACCP Plan
- Food Safety: A HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) plan helps ensure the safety of Kombucha brewing or fermentation by identifying potential hazards and implementing measures to control and prevent them.
- Compliance: HACCP is a legally required standard for food safety in many countries, and compliance with these regulations helps companies avoid penalties and protect their reputation.
- Quality Control: A HACCP plan helps to monitor and control the quality of Kombucha and fermented foods, ensuring that they meet the required standards and specifications.
- Cost Savings: Implementing a HACCP plan can result in cost savings by reducing the risk of food recalls, reducing waste, and improving efficiency in the production process.
- Continuous Improvement: HACCP is a continuous process of improvement, and regular review and updates to the plan help to identify and address new hazards as they emerge, improving food safety over time.
In addition to HACCP, a business may also need to comply with the following requirements, depending on their specific operations and the type of food products they produce:
- Preventive Controls: FSMA requires that businesses implement preventive controls to minimize the risk of foodborne illness or injury.
- Sanitary Transportation: FSMA requires that food products be transported under conditions that do not compromise their safety. Critical for fermented foods that are not pasteurized or rendered shelf stable by chemical, heat or other means.
- Recordkeeping: FSMA requires that businesses keep records of their food safety activities, including the implementation of their HACCP plan and preventive controls.
- Employee Training: FSMA requires that employees be trained in food safety and related practices, including the implementation of the HACCP plan and preventive controls.
- Supplier Verification: FSMA requires that businesses verify that their suppliers are producing food products in a manner that meets applicable food safety requirements.
It is important to note that the specific requirements for compliance with FSMA will vary depending on the type of food product and the specific operations of the business. That’s where Kombucha Kamp comes in! We have the expertise and experience to make this part of your business seamless and easy to implement. Reach out for your free 15 minute conversation to see how else Kombucha Mamma can support your fermentation business needs