In this episode of Mamma Mondays, we chat with Karen Diggs, founder of Kraut Source. In addition to her workshops, videos, recipes, and other educational materials, she has developed a way to easily make small batches of sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, and other ferments right at home using her stainless steel Kraut Source System.
The Kraut Source System was designed for making fermented foods like sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, and other natural pickled vegetables with something most of us already have in our home – Mason jars (AMZ) with a wide mouth. You can easily clean the stainless steel unit in the dishwasher.
Why Make Your Own Fermented Vegetables At Home With The Kraut Source System? Here Are Some Of The Benefits:
- Stainless steel facilitates home lactofermentation – it’s anti-corrosive, easy to clean, and easy to use!
- The mason jar lid fits onto Mason jars so you can make small batches of superfoods such as sauerkraut, pickles, and kimchi.
- Provides vitamins and probiotics
- Natural lactofermentation strengthens the immune system and digestive system
- Connect with your ancestors – lactofermentation is one of the oldest methods for preserving food
- Use whatever vegetables, herbs, and spices you’d like! Choose, local, fresh, and organic ingredients
“Food is our most intimate and profound connection to nature,” We need to counterbalance today’s highly active, digital, and stress-filled culture by reconnecting with nature by nourishing ourselves with more down-to-earth, hand-crafted edibles, like sauerkraut and pickles. Lactofermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, and naturally fermented pickles can restore your gut biome, reduce stress, and provide important nutrition that our society all too often lacks. Best of all, making these ferments at home is quick, easy, and fun! DIY fermentation is a great way to unwind from your busy day.
- 0:50 Where can I find that elderflower kombucha recipe?
- 1:54 Karen is Cooking Blog!
- 2:00 I can flavor my Kombucha with Rose Petals?!
- 3:19 KrautSource Link!
- 9:31 Sign up for Karen’s Newsletter HERE!
- 13:35 Hot Tips in Fermentation!
- 16:08 Who’s got the MUSTARD?
- 17:52 Where can I find summer recipes?
- 18:37 Did you say fermented blueberries?!
- 22:00 How do I make crunchy pickles?
- 25:44 Where’s that fermented salsa recipe?
- 30:20 Why is diversity important?
- 32:00 Why Is Modern Diet A Struggle for our bodies?
- 33:10 Can I use dried fruit in my ferments?
- 34:51 Care for a kombucha mocktail?
- 40:55 What is kefir?
- 42:51 More on candida here!
- 51:42 How to test your kombucha SCOBY
- 54:32 Water kefir vs. kombucha – fermented food fight!
- 56:27 Where can I find out more about Karen Diggs?